Most people have trouble knowing when it’s time to replace their gutter system.
The National Homeowners Association has said; “Gutters have a life expectancy of more than 50 years if made of copper and for 20 years if made of aluminum or steel.”
But that’s if they have been maintained properly. Proper maintenance includes: being cleaned out several times a year, resealed corners and end caps every three to five years, hangers and spikes tightened every other year, downspouts cleared out several times a year and underground drains flushed out every other year. These time periods also don’t account for fallen tree limbs, wind damage or damage from ladders.
Most people don’t stay up on the maintenance of their gutters. So the suggested lifetime of a gutter system of 20 years could be cut in half depending on your maintenance diligence.
Here are some ways to tell you need new gutters:
1) Aluminum or steel gutters over 20 years old.
2) Haven’t been maintained very well and are over 10 to 15 years old.
3) Loose hangers / spikes coming out.
4) Sagging gutter sections.
5) Dripping corners or end caps.
6) Peeling paint at corners and on the soffit.
7) Landscape Erosion.
8) Mulch or dirt on the base of the walls from overflowing gutters.
9) Wet basement walls.
10) Incorrect slope of gutters.
When you decide to replace your gutters consider these changes:
1) Larger six inch gutters and three by four downspouts. This will increase the capacity by 40% for very little extra expense.
2) Good gutter covers. It’s a great idea to consider a good gutter cover so you don’t have to worry about keeping the gutters cleaned out. This also keeps the downspouts clear and keeps debris from washing down into the underground drain lines.
3) Drain line cleaning. This is a great time to clear out the underground drains. If you haven’t had gutter guards it’s likely there is all kinds of stuff that has washed down into those pipes and is likely stopping up or restricting the flow of water.
Get a free online estimate today for New Gutters, Gutter Covers and Drain Cleaning. Just click on the free estimate button and fill out the online form. It just takes a few minutes.